The fourth gen Honda CRV is already available in Japan. With Google translator, we were able to pick up bits and pieces of specifications for the Honda CRV. We would most likely be getting the Japan spec rather than US spec. We have not received any news from Honda Malaysia on when the CRV will be launched, given the circumstances of the recent flooding in Thailand – creating a supply chain problem. Anyway, here is some information from the Honda Japan website.
- 2 engine options – R20A and K24A – which is 2.0 litre and 2.4 litre 4 cylinder petrol engine, respectively, used in the 3rd gen CRV. Of course the 2.4 one is not officially brought in to Malaysia.
- The R20A now outputs 150 ps @ 6,200 rpm and max torque of 191 Nm @ 4,300 rpm, which appeared to be unchanged compared to the current CRV.
- The 2.0 litre comes with CVT (continuously variable transmission) and front wheel drive, whereas the 2.4 litre comes with 5 speed automatic gearbox and all wheel drive.
- There is an “econ” mode or economy mode button, as seen in Honda Insight and Honda CRZ.
- Hill hold assist.
- Electronic power steering.
- Built in blind spot mirror on the side mirror.
- Smart key – engine “start/stop” button.
- Tilt and telescopic steering wheel.
- HID headlamp.
- ABS, TCS (traction control system), VSA (vehicle stability assist), EBD (electronic brake-force distribution).
- Front airbags, side airbags and curtain airbags.
- 3 point seat belt for all rear passengers.
- ISOFIX mount.
- The kerb weight is 1,500 kg.
Based on the translated Honda Japan website, we are able to conclude that the gen 4 is a step forward although not a major advancement from the gen 3. This is, however, based on a spec sheet without any real test drive.
What would be your wish list for the Malaysia spec gen 4 CRV?
Source: Honda Japan